Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau

I believe that there is an art to making movie trailers. If they are made just right, with the perfect music and perfect transitions, they can hook anyone and build up the anticipation to see the movie. I've seen the trailer for The Adjustment Bureau hundreds of times and have never gotten tired of seeing it because it's just so beautifully done. I finally had the opportunity to watch it the other night. David Norris (Matt Damon) is a politician running for Senator in New York. When he loses his lead in the race, he goes into the men's bathroom of the place where he is to give a speech to practice his lines. There, he meets Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt), a dancer who is hiding from security because she crashed a wedding upstairs. After talking to her, she inspires him to give a different, more honest and care-free speech that gains him much popularity and puts him in the running for the next race. This seems to be the work of the Adjustment Bureau because David's plan in life is to be president one day. They made an adjustment to have David meet Elise because they knew she would inspire him to give the speech that put him back on track. But apparently this is where his interactions with Elise are to end because when the two meet up by chance later, the Adjustment Bureau does everything they can to keep the two apart, causing these two to have to fight to be together.

This is sort of a sci-fi, romantic thriller. It toys with the idea that everyone has their own plan, created by God and no one really has free will. Even though it's nothing real, it kind of boggles your mind and really makes you think. I enjoyed this movie. It has a couple of twists that keeps the viewer wondering and the ending isn't predictable. My only problem with the movie was that it was all building to this climactic scene and then it just ends so abruptly. Don't get me wrong, I did like the outcome of it all but I expected a little bit more than that. But I still really did like this movie and I'd recommend it to anyone.

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this movie. The fact the it was based on a short story by Phillip K. Dick got me hooked before I even saw it. I saw the first trailer at least a year ago and was eagerly anticipating it's release. There were a few unbelievable parts, but the writers tied everything together at the end. As Harry said,"We all have seen and have parts of the Chairman in us". Isn't that they way most people feel about there Gods? It was a movie where you had to think not just what was clearly in your face. I think thats why I enjoyed it so much. It was a story within a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one movie I will pay the price to see. You're right about the trailer too. It is so very captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a great respect to the artists who work on making movie trailers. I have an obsession with movie trailers, with quick cuts, booming voice overs, and cliff hanger moments that MAKE you watch the movie. I do quite a bit of video editing, but creating a 30 second trailer out of a 90 minute film has to be incredibly difficult. I really enjoy hearing that other people pay attention to the trailers as more than information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time we watch movie trailers, they instill an idea of watching the best parts of a movie. When I read that you have watched the trailer a few hundred times before watching the movie, I knew that the movie trailer had a huge part to your decision. The movie seems like it has an original storyline, and I wouldn't mind watching it because of your more-than-descriptive movie reviews! ;)

    The movie is innovative in its own way. It has a physical depiction of the mental thought of fate. It has an original way of personifying a deep interpretation of how life and daily events are interconnected each day. And how momentous the smallest event can affect the rest of our lives. Personally, I like the thought that went into the screenplay. I feel moved to watch the movie right now!

    So, I watched the movie trailer on youtube right now, and it seems like the movie has just as much special effects to match the awesome storyline! I am impressed and I don't blame you one bit for watching the trailer so many times! It's a suspenseful trailer and it leaves me wanting more out of it! Thank you for another great review that will lead me to watching another movie that you have recommended to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really glad to hear that my reviews are having a positive effect! Sometimes when I write them, I'm not too sure if I've given away too much or too little. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you and keep the great reviews coming!!

    ReplyDelete