Saturday, February 26, 2011

Black Swan

In the spirit of the Academy Awards, I figured I'd review a movie that has received quite a bit of attention and many awards. Black Swan is a dark film about a ballerina, Nina, who lands the role of the white swan in Swan Lake. She also wants the role of the black swan, but has to compete with a newcomer, Lily, for the part. While Lily is a free-spirited, seductive person, Nina is more of a timid perfectionist. While trying to perfect the part of the black swan, Nina's dark side starts to come out and she starts to change. From the beginning of the film, you can tell that Nina puts quite a bit of pressure on herself to achieve perfection. Her mother, Erica, who was a former ballerina, does not help by putting Nina on a pedestal as a perfect, good daughter. 


The film itself is very well done. The cinematography was great. It has a few little unexpected twists. It feels raw and authentic, for a psychological thriller. Natalie Portman really showed off her acting skills in this film. If you appreciate independent films of an artsy nature, then I would say this is a good choice for you.

2 comments:

  1. I recently saw Black Swan in the convienience of my own home! I appreciated the cinematography and sequencing of the scenes. It was a movie that was put together very well. I found that when you watch this movie you must sympathize with the main character, Nina. It's a great way to gain an in-depth look on the movie.

    You have a great analysis on the synopsis of Black Swan. It is a direct perspective from an avid movie-goer's point of view! I appreciate the fact that you put emphasis on Natalie Portman's role. It will attract movie buffs and audiences to this film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I do tend to analyze every detail of a movie when I watch it. I like to watch the same actors in different films to see how well they handle different parts. I think a movie like this really puts an actor to the test.

    ReplyDelete